If you are reading this you probably have done some major remodeling project that produces a lot of trash or just decided to get rid of all that junk in the garage.
When it comes to getting rid of junk, the question is should you go for dumpster rental or a junk removal service?
Both of these options have their pros and cons and the short answer to the question is “it will depend on your circumstances”. The choice of what to go for may depend on the type of trash you are disposing of, your budget, convenience and the urgency among several other factors.
Difference between Dumpster Rentals and Junk Removal Services
The biggest difference is that dumpster service companies will deliver a dumpster to your property. You will have between 5 days to a fortnight to fill it with your junk before they come to pick it up.
On the other hand, removal services will come to your property and pick up all the junk. They will haul it themselves from the property and dispose of it at donation centers, recycling plants or landfills.
Given that you never have to do the heavy hauling with removal services, the companies will typically charge up to 20% more as compared to dumpster services.
Why Go with Junk Removal
There are several benefits of choosing a removal company over a dumpster rental. These include:
- Full-service option – Junk pick up companies often offer a full-service option where they come to your premises and haul out everything you do not need.
2. Convenience – You never have to deal with the heavy lifting but rather let the professionals handle it for you.
3. Flexibility – You can get rid of items that dumpster companies will not allow in their dumpsters such as televisions, computer monitors, and refrigerators.
4. Environmental Friendly – Most junk removal services are environmentally friendly and will have in place recycling processes when taking care of the junk you no longer need.
5. Aesthetics – You do not have to contend with an ugly dumpster sitting on your lawn or curb for a week as your junk will be gone within the day or even an hour.
6. You do not need to get a permit to have the company remove your junk from the premises.
Why Not Go with Junk Removal
- Removal companies tend to charge up to 20% or even more as compared to rental companies.
2. You will need to know what junk you are getting rid of before the crew comes to haul it away. This means that you may not have the time to remove all of your junk as compared to dumpsters where you have all the time.
3. You may have to get a certificate of insurance with junk removal since there is a crew on the premises which can result in liability.
4. It may not be the most convenient since the crew works on schedules that may not be the most optimal for you.
NOTE: You have to be careful when dealing with junk removal companies as many will charge by the load. The price could really add up if you have a lot of stuff while they have a small truck.
It is always recommended to negotiate the price of the entire job beforehand to get fair prices. Never agree to price per load contracts unless you are certain that your junk will fit in one load.
Why Go with Dumpster Rentals
- One of the best things about rentals is that you know the price right off the bat and hence there is no risk of getting overcharged.
2. It is also very convenient as you never have to schedule a visit from the company as all they do is drop off the dumpster and you can fill it at your pleasure.
3. You can have the dumpster available for a long time and hence it is great for long term projects. As such you can get all the junk from your property if you are doing major construction or renovation.
4. It is very cost effective especially if you have long term projects such as landscaping and construction where you have to dispose of tons of junk
Why Not Go with Dumpster Rentals
- You have to carry out the junk to the dumpster which can be a lot of work, not to mention the risk of getting injured given that you are not a professional.
2. You have to contend with an unsightly dumpster full of trash sitting on your driver for days or weeks.
3. Dumpster companies do not allow you to dispose of some types of junk such as electronics, tires, or any appliance with Freon.
4. You may have to apply for a permit to rent a dumpster in some localities, which will just drive up your costs.
Note that you could still save money by hiring teenagers or handymen to do it for you and still get a cheaper price than hiring a junk removal company.
Cost Comparison of Dumpster Rental vs. Junk Removal
Getting rid of junk can be quite an expensive affair. However, you can always reduce the amount you spend on getting the trash out if you do your research.
Dumpster Rental Costs
Most rental companies will charge a rental fee that is dependent on the size of the container and your location.
If you have a lot of junk to get rid of, a dumpster will more often than not be the cheaper option than junk removal.
Dumpster rental companies will charge an average of $185 to $225 for a dumpster measuring 10 yards to $600 for a 40-yard container.
Junk Removal Costs
Junk removal is definitely cheaper than dumpster rental services if you have only a few items you need to be removed from your property.
Nonetheless, you need to remember that the removal company will still charge you minimum hauling fees.
Even if they are removing just one stick of furniture in an office clean out, they will still have to pay their employees to come to your premises, fuel the truck and haul the sofa away.
However, the good thing about junk haulage is that they charge according to how much space your junk will take inside the truck.
The typical cost of junk removals is an average of $65 to $90 for one cubic foot of debris. You will always get a better price as the yardage increases.
For a fully loaded truck, you should expect to pay between $500 and $800 for the average removal truck.
When to Choose Dumpster Rental
They are great when you have long term projects.
There was a time when we needed to clean out our house and the garage was full of junk and we just could not take one day to decide what to keep and what to throw away.
In your case, it may be that you are remodeling the kitchen and need the rental to collect all the junk that the contractors remove while they work.
The following are some of the best reasons I would go with a dumpster rental:
1.You are undertaking a major cleaning or home rehabilitation project that will inevitably create a lot of junk before over several days or weeks.
2.You have a huge amount of small pieces of junk that will fill half or more of the dumpster.
3.You do not have a specific date when your remodel or construction will be done and hence an open-ended dumpster rental is more preferable than junk removals.
When to Choose Junk Removal Service
Most of the time you go for removal when you want to avoid having to carry stuff out of the house and into the dumpster.
Junk items such as old refrigerators and TVs can be quite heavy and since you are not a professional they could potentially injure you when you are carrying them out of the property.
Removal services employ professionals who know how to carry heavy and dangerous items upstairs and across the hallways to the truck while keeping you and your property safe from injury and damage.
The following are some of the reasons to go with a removal company:
1.You need help since your junk is composed of heavy items such as furniture and appliances that are best carried out by professionals.
2.You want all the junk out of the house immediately and need the removals company to schedule a date when they will come get it.
3.You have only a few items that you want to get rid of such as an old sofa or freezer that would not fill a dumpster rental.
4.You do not have space to keep a huge container on the yard for days or weeks on end.
Use a Junk Removal Company or Rent a Dumpster?
What I really love about junk removals is that you can put in anything in them except for hazardous waste like asbestos, paints, liquid oils and other toxic materials.
If you are looking to dispose of a huge variety of materials and items such as bedbug infested furniture or mattresses, moldy old carpets, broken roof or concrete shingles, old rubber tires and landscaping or storm debris then a dumpster is probably your best bet in terms of conveniences and cost.
If you have a few odds and ends that may be bulky such as treadmills, mattress, tube TV, adjustable bed frame, refrigerator, recliner or piano, you would be better of going with a junk removals service.
Going forward many companies are offering both junk removals and dumpster rentals. As such, you can get either service from one company as long as you they fit your objective.
With many companies now offering both services, it will be easier and more convenient and more importantly cheaper to get these services.